Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Feet first!

Feet first should be the golden rule for any Pilgrimage.  At some point you simply have to do it.  Enough planning, enough plotting, talking and discussing.  Just do it!  Put one in front of the other. Repeat. Over and Over!!

Well, I'm not quite there but the second definition of feet first: you have to think of your feet first...and the rest will fall into place.  If the feet ain't happy and well tended too, not much else is going to matter.

Last time I struggled with foot issues, especially my right foot.  The Dr. thought it was perhaps a Mortons Neuroma...now the other Dr. in the same office says no, its Metetarsalgia..swelling or inflammation of the metatarsal heads running at the base of the toes, right where you roll across with each step.  When it really flares, it stops me dead in my tracks.  It hurts that much.  Now I'm not a wimp when it comes to pain.  I've had surgeries, fairly major, and never needed any pain killers once at home.  Ditched 'em all.  So that gives a little perspective to how bad this can be.  But I love to walk, hike or just plain get around on foot, so I will find a way.

Right now they've got me on a course of anti-inflammatory drugs.  I'm also working my way thru different hiking shoes, different socks, different methods of making sure I don't get (or minimizing) blisters on my pedes!

These pics were taken on our Camino Portuguese.  I'd slipped into muddy water up to mid shin, and damn near lost my right shoe in it!  So I really did need to find a way to keep the feet not only warm but dry.  As it was raining more that day, my Keen sandals weren't an option.  So a little ingenuity, complete lack of fashion sense and no pride to speak of, I was the Queen of Plastic Bags!!
Drain the shoe!!  Wipe the  mud off the foot!
Ahhh warm dry clean socks!!
Bag 'em! Keep the tootsies fresh on the road!
Become the ultimate Fashion Faux Pas!!

All I can say in my defense is...by the end of that day...my feet were warm and blister free!  I just can't show my face on that part of the Camino for a few years!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Karin, This is a great blog. i've just found it after you posted on mine. Sorry to hear you've got foot problems too. My sprained ankle has more or less healed with a bit of on going phisio.I had a very painful bunion on one foot and this was cured using a Superfeet insert which repositioned the arch of my foot. I was very surprised when it worked and the cure has been100% effective. I've also had no knee problems since then either. Great use of plastic bags! At this time of year I carry 2 garbage bags which I put over each leg in order to cross streams up to 2 feet deep without needing to take off my shoes etc.

    All the best, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it, portable lightweight waders! Great idea! I'm going to file that one away for future use. Thanks for the comments, I'll take 'em all into consideration! Happy Trails, Karin

    ReplyDelete