Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Scallops and Scallop Shells


Shell of Saint James


"The scallop shell is the traditional emblem of James, son of Zebedee and is popular with pilgrims on the Way of St James to the apostle's shrine at Santiago de Compostela in Spain. Medieval Christians making the pilgrimage to his shrine often wore a scallop shell symbol on their hat or clothes. The pilgrim also carried a scallop shell with him, and would present himself at churches, castles, abbeys etc., where he could expect to be given as much sustenance as he could pick up with one scoop. Probably he would be given oats, barley, and perhaps beer or wine. Thus even the poorest household could give charity without being overburdened." - from Wikipedia.

Ok..this wasn't what I was thinking about when I started a quick stroll down memory lane!

Once upon a time, about a hundred years ago..or so it feels some days, my boyfriend and I would go out on these things called dates.  Since I lived on the far side of Philly and he in South Jersey, he'd drive up to visit me (I  didn't even own a car!) and we'd go to dinner near by rather than downtown.  It saved gas, time and money.  I was at the time, living on City Line Avenue and in the strictest, most technical of terms, on the "Main Line", the penultimate suburb of Philadelphia.  Ha!  It was a tiny, bachelor apartment, up three flights of stairs, shared by two good friends. You had to be to survive such tight quarters!

There were perks though, 'bout a mile down the road.  Saks 5th Avenue, Lord & Taylor and a restaurant that for us was the height of sophistication, The Magic Pan.  Mind you, we were poor, my roomie and I.  Count your pennies poor.  She was still a student at St. Joe's, across the street, I was working at Temple University in one of the many libraries.  Our forays to Saks and L&T were sale rack only.  But oh what a sale rack it was!  For a real treat, we'd have lunch in the Tea Room (if we could swing it).  Needless to say we walked the mile or so to the store. Once again, no need to waste gas driving if we could walk. We had a blast living up there.  But I digress from scallops.  The Magic Pan had Coquille St. Jacque and I fell totally in love with the dish.  You could count on me ordering it every single time I crossed the threshold.  I can still smell it, the crepes fresh off the pan, the cheese, the sweet scallops!  Pardon while I wipe keyboard.

Well, it's been a few years,  oh say 33+ years!  Donna, the best room mate ever, is in Connecticut and I'm in suburban Central New Jersey.   I couldn't tell you the last time I had crepes or Coquille St. Jacque.    It just so happens that scallops, lovely large sweet scallops, are in my freezer.  That guy I used to date, now my hubby,  wiped out the local supermarket last week.  They'd gotten a shipment at a terrific price and he came home with six or seven pounds!   So all this is what lead to an internet search for recipes, a Coquille recipe.  Which then brought around the Wiki entry regarding uses of scallop shells as a means of allowing all to participate in acts of charity.  Funny thing how things connect in the strangest of times and places across years and miles.  During those dinners at the Magic Pan, I knew nothing of Sant Iago, nothing of Santiago de Compostella or the Camino.  I remember wondering what the name of the dish meant.  At the time I thought perhaps it was named for a place called St. Jacque.  Little did I know how much time and energy would eventually be given to scallops and scallop shells!

So today I practice making crepes and tonight we'll have crepes with Coquille St. Jacque.  And all the while, contemplating how I'm going to manage a trip to the Camino this year.  I will.  I must. I'm gonna! Sant Iago, it's in your hands!!

Funny thing, I'm back to being relatively poor, courtesy of a job change last fall.  Stranger still, by the standards of most, I've no regrets and am as happy as a clam or is that a scallop!


2 comments:

  1. Love it! I'm coming to raid your fridge! Post some photos of the finished product - would love to see how it came out. Somehow I'm very confident that your Camino is going to happen for you this year - 2011 is a good year and I suspect it's going to be filled with surprises for all of us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those scallops will bring untold riches, Karin!

    ReplyDelete