Thursday, October 14, 2010

And we're walking....

Driving in my car up to my German class this evening, I had the funniest thoughts about practicing things.  I need to practice my German, so I go to a group type lesson on Wednesday evenings, with a quick beer practice afterwards.  I practice my Spanish via podcasts in the car and at my desk.  This all got me to thinking about the physical practice I need to do the be ready to pound out mile after mile, day after day on the Camino.  Did medieval pilgrims have to practice before they set out?  I think not.  I suddenly struck me full force how unnaturally we live today.  A simple thing that we are  meant to do, almost as unconsciously as breathing, requires sometimes month of prep/practice, if the journey is going to be enjoyed, not just a trial by trail.

This trail of thought got me doing a little research and I found an article about diet and "exercise" during the Roman & Medieval times vs today.  According to this particular source, not only do we consume a much higher fat/cholesterol laden diet, but we also perform 94% less physical activity!  And we all wonder why we're so freaking fat these days!   Apparently we also simply eat way more often, thereby increasing our chances of over consuming calories.

And me?  I live in a small town.  There is a small market about 4 blocks from my house.  We've been known to jump in the car to get items for dinner.  I work 1.7 miles from my home (at least for the moment...please God...let them choose to can me next!!).  I'm embarrassed to admit...I drive to work most days.  I have walked on occasion.  Then I've had about half the work force, as they are passing me - dressed to walk - offer me a ride home, cause that's just so far!  I've ridden my bike on a few occasions, although that's hardly worth the effort to get it out for such a short trip.  My point is, I'm normally an exercise junkie.  When not in recovery mode from something like my surgery this summer, I will bike, hike, run, swim, go to the gym.  Essentially, I don't sit around a lot.  But in terms of simple day to day walking...not that much.  Not the kind of "exercise" my predecessors on the Camino would have had.   Not the kind that would simply allow me to do as they would have done - open the front door, step out, turn and walk all the way to Santiago.   And some how...we refer to their time as the "Dark" ages.  Makes you wonder.

So, my next goal?  Simple and small.   To see if I can't get myself ready early enough to walk to work at least one day out of the week.  Perhaps that simple morning walk will also help to connect me more closely to my larger goal in 11 months time.

1 comment:

  1. A hugely honest and inspiring post, Karin. Those 'Dark Ages'... not so dark, were they? I agree with you. We can learn so much from real history. And a lot of the conventional history we're taught is bullshit. There's so much rubbish talked in the media - and we sometimes forget the media have stuff to push because they're after the quick pound and the quick dollar. Walking or cycling to work sounds great. We use our cars far too much. Also - don't worry too much about 'preparation'. To be honest, I've hardly ever prepared much before any of my Caminos. It will just happen. And it will be good!

    ReplyDelete