Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Bits and pieces!

Had simply the best weekend in ages!  It began quietly enough, with an email to a friend, simply inquiring if he'd any plans to go shopping at our favorite local outdoor shop, REI.  They were having a sale, there were coupons involved and beer for afterwards! 

It took me the better part of an hour to work my way across an entire rack of hiking/trekking poles.  Who knew there could be such variety of weights and options in a "simple" walking stick.  I finally decided on the Leki's as I really find the angled/canted grip to be more natural.  The ones I picked are also part of the ultralight series, so they fit right into my plans to keep the weight down for the Camino to say nothing of fitting into my backpack as well.  Amazingly this pair also have shock absorbers built in, something I had on another pair and liked. I had to laugh, as once again, the "ladies" version just didn't fit me!  They assume if your female your tiny and have tiny hands. Oh contrariness no, of course I don't!  My hands easily reach a full octave on a piano..so they're way to long for women's hiking poles.

In the meantime, Joe worked his way thru the hiking shoe dept. and left with two pairs tucked under his arm.  Ray...he simply browsed and left with a thirst for wine or beer, which we then took care of at the Redstone across Rt. 70.   It was amazing to be sitting outside at 8:00 on a Friday evening in mid October.

Having enjoyed ourselves so much on Friday evening, we decided to try for something of a repeat, but with a little more on the outside part.  A quick post on Facebook rounded out our group with friends Bill and Gina joining our plans to hike the Cranberry Trail, in Bredan Byrne State Forest.  We decided on a night hike to allow for daytime things already scheduled.  The Cranberry Trail as we take it makes for a six mile hike.  Then it was a quick drive to Mayo's Half Way House for dinner.  While the others ate burgers I opted for the snapper soup (as in snapping turtle, much to Joe's disgust!)  The soup was excellent as always.  I sat during dinner with my foot propped up on the extra chair at our table, hiking boot removed.

My right foot has a neuroma (pinched nerve, getting rubbed by the metatarsal bones)  and certain shoes, if they ain't wide enough, hurt like *#%@)(* !!!!   These boots have been ok in the past but ... since REI was still having their sale and I had a 20% off coupon, burning a hole in my psyche, it was off to REI again on Sunday afternoon.  This time I was the one trying on half a dozen boots.  I came away with a lovely new pair of Keen boots, waterproof and all.  They are much more closely related to the shoe I wore on the last Camino, also Keens.  They have, for my taste, much more flex in them and a much wider toebox.

Injinji Toe Sock!

Sparkling and new....for how long!


     My Newest Foot Gear!   And to think some women would rather a pair of four inch heeled Jimmy Choo's. Look at these two, what's not to love!






In line with my thinking about the neuroma, and trying to keep my tootsies happy, I'm experimenting.  Since I've got time before my next go, I can play around with some of the details.  There are currently "shoeless" shoes for running, called Vibram Five Fingers, and as a result, socks to match!  The socks are supposed to help prevent chaffing, even when wearing regular boots or shoes.  So, I'm thinking anything that would help prevent the toes getting smushed together in the shoe, might help keep the fire in foot from getting started.  Hell, I haven't even put them on yet, so time will tell.  I can only promise to post the results of the first hike wearing my Injinji socks.

Sunday evening was finished off with dinner at El Camino Real (!) (www.bbqburritobar.com ) in the Northern Liberties section of Philadelphia.   Followed up by a YoYo Ma Concert at the Kimmel Center.  A perfect ending.


PS...tomorrow...walking to work!  Not sure if I'm using the hiking boots...but hoofing it...I am!

And here's where my real world colliding  with reality...work (sorry four letter language!)...if I can just click my heels together and whisper.."there's no place like a hike, there's no place like a hike" poof...ruby slippers to hiking boots!!  And I'll be on the Camino in no time.  Just gotta watch out for those houses!  Do they have tornado's in Spain?

No comments:

Post a Comment