Saturday, October 30, 2010

Stuff ya just gotta do!

Sure I'd rather be curled up under the covers than.....oh, wait I've said that before...but somethings, they never change!  I'd rather be reading one of the new books that Amazon deposited on the front door mat, but, paperwork is also part of the Camino!

Can't believe it's been ten years already, but one look at that picture and I know it's true!  Funny thing is I think, oh hell I know, I look (and feel) younger now, than that woman staring back at me from my old passport.

First I had to slog around on line to find the correct form.  Now is it Form DS-82 or DS-11 or DS-5505? Then after reading the slightly confusing directions, complete the application to renew my passport.  Of course this is when I discover issues with my computer at home and it won't print the damn thing!  Ah well, so take the old passport to work and fill it out there and finally I've got a printed copy.  Now I need a photo.

The new picture isn't too bad, as passport pictures go.  What I really wish is that I could use one of the pictures from the Camino, maybe even the one from my blog profile.  Or a picture of me from my first MS150 bike tour. In these pictures I am happier than happy, sweaty, tired, but completely alive. If you want to see me, who I really am, what I really look like, that's the way to go.  That frozen moment in front of a white background, that's not me or anyone else for that matter.  I've seen some passports and barely recognized the person.  Ah well, this is just one of those things you've gotta do if you wanna go over there!! Or anyplace I'd really like to be right now!

So this morning, before heading back out to the Pine Barrens for a hike, it's off to the post office to mail away my most treasured piece of bureaucratic paper!  This one means more to me than my drivers license.  That's saying a lot!  Being able to move about, travel, in all it's forms, including driving is the world to me!

I'm off to write the check that accompanies all the papers and the pics, and the pray that it all comes back speedily!

Oh, by the way...it is DS-82!!

No comments:

Post a Comment