Thursday, April 14, 2011

Amico Island

Ok just a quick one here!  Did 4+ miles at Amico Island.  This was the site of my very first walks post kidney surgery.  It's located along the Delaware River and is a real gem, hidden away behind a semi industrial area.  There are areas for fishing, benches with lovely views, picnic tables and a well maintained parking and service area.

The main or real trails are nice and level, hence the choice for post surg. strolling.  There are however some secondary trails that will disappear soon into the growths of wild weed bamboo.  I'm glad I went early enough in the year to find them.

My only real complaint of the day...my camera died just as I came upon a perfect view of Philadelphia, directly down river!  It would have made the best picture...if I'd remembered to check my battery charge.  Next time.

This was also a trial run of hiking in warmer weather with my Merrell boots.  It was a complete failure!  I can honestly say however, they made wonderful ballast in my daypack.  I had my suspicions because of a slight taper in the boot and the feet swelling more in the heat (it was 85F) that there would be a problem.  I'm able to use them in the winter only now.  So out came the Keen mesh summer shoes.

By night fall I'd made another trip to REI and purchased yet another pair of Keens.  These are sturdier than the ones I used last time, but essentially the same model.  My old ones have one of those slide ties...which quite frankly refuses to stay in place anymore, resulting in an almost slipper like fit...not too supportive.  Sigh!  So I'll be test walking the new ones around the house for a bit.  I'll also be returning the Keen boots that chaffed me everywhere on my foot.  Even with swelling I don't think they'll work on the Camino.  The potential for blistering is simply too much.   I really wanna find a store that sells feet!  New ones, perfect for hiking.  But then that would be to easy!  So, it's three pairs of Keens in the house at the moment!  Only one can come to Spain with me.  Wonder who's gonna win out!

In my continued efforts to manage my foot issues, I'm also trying a soft silicone insert between the second and third toes.  They are apparently designed for people with bunions and the like.  They do seem to help, but I can't keep them in walking all day.

So here are a couple of pics from a lovely afternoon.

This was the site of many a happy day sailing!

Thru the birches!
Peeling bark!

Staircase to heaven?? How about just a lovely view!


No comments:

Post a Comment