Monday, April 11, 2011

Strange silences

Yeah I've been pretty damn quiet of late.  That usually doesn't bode well.  Usually means I'm churning internally and I don't mean the tummy!  This time is/has been no different.   And as usual I find that by talking...it gets better.  When will I learn!

The right foot really hasn't been happy, I've gotten two rounds of cortisone shots deep between the metatarsals.  The last round ended up bruising my bones to boot.  So the thought of walking hundreds of miles just seemed so out there.  Finally I opened my mouth and talked to others.  And started walking again.  So, today I can see it actually happening.   Getting PMs from fellow Camino addicts who have similar foot issues really helped.  To know that while it may hurt me a tad more than those with "normal" feet, it is doable.  Ask me again though after the last round on April 19th!! Just kidding.

So today I put new inserts into my old camino shoes (Keen's) pulled on new, short Injinji Socks (nice gray color that should do well on the Camino!) and went off to walk.  There is a new county park only 3 miles from the house (unfortunately not via roads you want to walk on!).  I find this park is especially great for a sea level person to get a good hill work out.  For as flat as my neighborhood is, this park, Crystal Lake, has great little rollers.  They're steep enough to leave you almost breathless and frequent enough to make it well worth the drive.

Todays walk boosted my moral immeasurably.  Besides simply finding the discomfort manageable, the sun shine and the warmth were enough to cheer up anyone.

Marshy area, skunk cabbage starting to pop.

Maple's in bloom.

I believe this one is winter wheat.

Forsythia, my spring time favorite!

Tiny wildflowers in the most amazing shades of purples and blues.

Last years robins nest. No one home this year.

I believe this is a woodbine blossom...have to check it out.

I need to remember the necklace I wear 24/7.  A silver scallop shell and a small silver piece with the word, Breathe!  Just breathe.  One step at a time.   

1 comment: