Friday, May 27, 2011

Burgos...all day long!

Well, it started out great.  Really great.  We spent the night in Hostal Acacia, after deciding amongst the three of us, Spencer, Rosalie and myself that we deserved it after walking 30km in one day.  The reception guy, even got my laundry back to us early, cause I asked nicely in badly butchered Spanish (and used the eyelashes a bit...hell I needed any help I could get at this point!)  So...we thought we (Spence and I) were off for the day and Rosalie would stay to finish some shopping etc.

 After a quick coffee, we hit the bank to make sure we had enough as we enter the Meseta (Spanish plains) today and tomorrow.  Meseta...flat...hot...sparsely populated etc.  Good idea to have a little extra cash in a country that truly operates by cash and coin.  Good idea until the machine eats my card.  Then the guy inside tells me the bank at home recalled my card!  WTF!!  I called for a few days before to make sure these chumps realized I would be in Espana...that I would need to have cash ready...but no...they pulled the card back.

SO, today became a real learning experience in using phones, finding phones, Western Union, etc etc.  End result is...Rosalie and I leave Burgos tomorrow, Spence and the others are a day or so ahead.  But...I´ve meet some amazing people and wouldn´t have missed spending this time with them.  God is good and so are people!  Ray...thanks for the cheer it meant a lot to hear your voice.  Enjoy the weekend kayak trip, sans kayaking..  Love you all

4 comments:

  1. Hang in there Karin! If it makes you feel any better, the ATM ate Hannah's card in Egypt. It was a hassle, but eventually everything worked out. Keep blogging...I'm enjoying your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry this happened to you - but happy you were able to "ride the wave" and enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a great weekend kayaking on the Delaware. 21 Miles Sat and 11 Sun. All had fun. Looking at another section when you get back and we can agree on available dates. Glad you are still having fun. You will need to have words with your bank when you get home --- Joe

    ReplyDelete
  4. We really missed you on Memorial Day weekend. Happy to read the blogs and spend time with Ray. He gave us some updates. I couldn't kayak on the second day so Ray and Dawn and I went hiking. Straight up! I was the cheerleader, can you believe it? We saw a beaver dam. Looking forward to seeing you and hearing about your adventures!
    Vivian

    ReplyDelete