Tuesday, May 24, 2011

** Santo Domingo de la Calzada **

Sometimes other pilgrims are the surprise on the road, ie this couople from Japan in traditional garb!




Yes...it does feel that endless sometimes!  Move it Spence....we still got miles to go before we sleep!
Home for another night....with the Sisters this time.
Our room...with Simone for Milan lounging in the grass outside.
Yes, the nuns did lock us in too!
This was the beginning of the end of our afternoon of napping and resting up...there was an arrow...so... we followed!
Round the corner and under these two arches...
Upstair cases that went around and around, until we were on the battlements  and looking into the church...very unusual!
Was this what James Taylor had in mind when he sang the words, Up on the Roof?
"Side" altar!

Back of the organ or choir area, showing  scenes from the life of St. Domingo.

Oh look...another chapel...
A closer peak was called for... apparently the tomb of a Bishop Guillen de Holanda.
Stunning is such an over used, and here, inadequate word.  This was the work of Damian Forment.
The best I could do with my zoom....
However...thanks to modern technology and touch pads, this display allowed you to take long lingering looks at details you only sensed were up there.  Wonderful!
No 'ahm not really sitting .. or just barely.
Detail from the choir area.
Guess he got tired and thirsty from the lengthy pieces?
Spencer looking at the chickens...
One of the actual chickens!
The Baroque bell/clock tower, which is actually separate from the church.
View from the tower...Look towards tomorrows walk.

Storks, taking over!

Only part way up the tower stairs, which were quite the challenge.
Incentive not to linger too long...no it's not a torture device, it's the clock workings for the bells.  After Spence and I had been up there about 10 minutes, we suddenly realized we had five minutes to get our butts back down the stairs, or go deaf!  Damn near ran!!!
Add caption
This last pic requires a tiny bit more explanation.  Spence knew I had the camera.  He knew I was snapping pics left and right.  So he knows this photo exists.  And so his privacy wasn't being  invaded, as happened to me in O Cebriero, when I had a tour group snap flash photos, in my face, as I stood in front of the Blessed Mother with my eyes closed, and tears running.  I kept them closed then, as I might have used my sticks to smack the living daylights out of whom ever...clenching the sticks then, with white knuckles. So clarification here!  Seconds later, Spencer left me in tears and I had to turn away, as he swung around and said to me "He did that for us?" with the most stunned look on his face.  This was one of those moments I will remember for the rest of my life.  More real faith than I've seen in a long long time.  Spencer you are amazing.  Love you and thanks for being my friend.

2 comments:

  1. Santo Domingo de la Calzada is one of those places I am going to have to go back to one day as a tourist. You had such beautiful sunshine that day! I had a terrible habit of arriving in such places on a Sunday when churches were closed most of the day. Plus it was raining the day I got there and everything was muddy near construction that was going on. So I decided to walk on.... another 8km or so, and had a wonderful stay in Granon. But I will have to go back! I especially love your photo of the sunshine through the arches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful photos! Thanks for taking me along to the part I missed!

    ReplyDelete