Monday, May 16, 2011

** Orisson to Roncesvalles**


God...if only picture ever really captured it all.  But, these are the best I can manage!

Dawn, day two of my adventure!  Yup...that's right...Rain!!


My tent mate, and look at the size of those coffee bowls!! To DIE FOR!!!

Ok...I was joking when I said die...really I was!

And...for anyone who thinks this is a stroll thru the woods, over hill and dale...Nope!  This was the first of many roadside crosses and memorials to Pilgrims who died along the way.  There were apparently 4 who died in the time I was on the road.  Now, that said, most of them were in their 70's, had health issues, but...died doing something they wanted to be doing.  Not a bad way to go, IMHO.
There were sheep all over the mountains, often you'd only hear their bells and see nothing!

Now ain't this an attractive look!  Cold, wet and very happy!! Only 765 more to go...according to this sign.  Now if you've been reading the blog at ALL...you know the accuracy of these signs!!  Still, it reads less than 800 now...so yes that is a happy face!
Anyone wanna play Macbeth in these woods??  Double double toil and trouble....

" I want my Mommy! "... Actually these woods were breathtakingly beautiful..If I hadn't been so cold and wet, I woulda spent the entire afternoon trying to take pics.  But I wanted a place to sleep that was warm and dry...so off we trundled.

Just as we were about to abandon all hope, a roof line appeared.
From inside the courtyard....we slept in the building to the left.
Comfy with enough room, if a tad impersonal looking.


That top bunk...that is mine...home sweet home for one night only! Repeat this theme for the next five and half weeks!  Welcome to the world of the pilgrim!  And remember...a pilgrim is grateful.  Truly!

Some of our multi-lingual hospitalera's who were also the souls of patience and tact.  Note that pic on the wall.  Now that was cruel.  Really.  We were currently in the far right corner of that map...and we're aiming to walk all the way across it!  Talk about intimidation!
Remember...I said I was cold and wet...well this is part of the room where we stored and attempted to dry our shoes overnight.  That is what the nasty looking pile is on the floor.  An attempt to dry 'em!  You take newspapers and stuff them into your shoes.  And...if your smart and remember...you do this a few hours later, and maybe one more time before you go to bed.  In the am...tolerably dry shoes..sometimes...actual dry shoes!!

My dancing slippers!

No comments:

Post a Comment