Monday, May 2, 2011

What a day!

I feeling so incredibly conflicted.  Rejoicing in my beautiful baby.  Happy to have a ticket to Madrid, at a price I can afford.  Excited to be having the opportunity to walk my dream.  Strangely elated at the death of one man, Osama bin Laden.  Depressed that I can even rejoice in someone else's death.  

I think a new life, my beloved little Anna, once again brings to mind the life that exists in all of us.  The gift.  At some point in time even Osama was that new precious gift of life from God.  Yet somehow, thru the passage of years, he ends that gift as someone so rotten that people all over the world rejoice at his death.  What an incredible waste.

While I must confess to a twinge of nerves, flying again at this time, I also know that it will make my Camino even more prayerful.  I get to pray in thanksgiving for a safe delivery of a beautiful baby.  I get to pray by walking to be the best Omi for her, to be what a grandmother should be.  I have the opportunity to pray for my other DIL's brother, currently serving in Afghanistan.  It will give me a small taste perhaps of what his "hikes" in the mountains over there are like, minus a few pounds in the pack, and the feeling someone might take a shot at you!!  I can use this time to pray for those who have died during this last decade of war, and pray that perhaps things can become peaceful again.  Not that I can't do these things here in the comfort of my own home, but, there is something about being able to do it away from daily distractions, daily tasks.

So now on the very practical side of things...back to weighing and re-weighing everything that is going into my pack!!  And talking a walk around the neighborhood, or perhaps the park with one of my packs!!

4 comments:

  1. Lovely post Karin - I agree with all your sentiments, especially those concerning the wasted life of Osama. I looked at photos of him today and was struck by how dead and cold his eyes looked on each and every one. Our eyes truly are the windows to our souls!

    When exactly are you flying to Madrid?

    GOOD LUCK with the packing - remember, less is more! (Or so they tell me!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karin, we just have to live our lives and not be afraid! We left on our first Camino the week after the US invaded Iraq - people told us NOT to go... but we did, and it was fine. Just live.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sound excited. Great! But don't think those Galician farmers might not be tempted to take pot shots. They have to get Pilgrim Pie on the menu del dia somehow! (Only joking).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robert...I'd happily sell them a few pounds of bacon! Just no steak & kidney from this gal! Although if someone else wants to ante up the correct parts...I'm game! Haven't had a good one since Mum died!

    ReplyDelete