Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Zubiri to Pamplona

Leaving Zubiri was easy enough.  Basically, back out the way we came, quick turn to the right and we were on our way. 

There is an medeviel travel book about the Camino, entitled I believe Codex Calixtus.  In it the people along the way were frequently given unflattering protraits.  They were called liars and all sorts of other things.  Today...that could actually have been a page from there...or so I thought for a few moments.

Somewhere, not over any rainbow, we came upon Larasoana.  Now there is a rumor that there is a bar/cafe there.  Several times we told it was right down the road on the next right.  Well at least four different groups looked and as of tonight...while we all made it out alive, none of us can vouch for the bar´s actual existence!

The only reason I cared was the most desperate need for the ladies room.  Instead, I walked the entire way to Pamplona before I could take care of everything. Talk about your long, lonely and slightly humiliating day! Sheesh...but...all is well now.

The walk from Zubiri to Pamplona was quite beautiful and so incredibly full of flowers, quite river spots, mamma horses, baby horses, mamma cows, baby cows.  In fact with so much to look at, it was a wonderful day inspite of my personal need. 

Pamplonal it self is also quite the city.  Tall, slender, many storied and full of wonderful buildings.  To say nothing of good food!!  As our group approached Pamplona we began to rejoice!  One reason was we thought we had our beds all taken care of. Infact, we´d allowed a little more photo op time along the way because of having taken care of this major focus of all pilgrims as we walk.  However, much to our dismay, we arrived at Casa Paderborn, practically dancing down the street, only to find out the information was wrong.  The number in my book was wrong as well as the bit of info saying they took reservations.

Fortunately, the hospitilero couldn´t have been nicer and gave very explicit directions to Alburge Jesus y Maria.  Very interesting building...very interesting night.  The actual building used to be a seminary, and is HUGE!  There are two floors of two tiered beds.  The upper floor is frosted glass!  So with my thing about heights, you guessed it, I got a bunk on the top on the upper floor! 

The bunks weren´t too bad, but a bit woobly when you where climbing up (using my Crocs, cause it hurt my feet) but once you were in bed it was ok.  Until the concert began.  Infact I´m sure this buildings other intended use after the seminary was as a concert hall.  The snores echoed from floor to floor and echoed off the huge vaulted ceiling!  Funny as a it may sound, it doesn´t make for the best nights sleep even when you´ve walked 17 to 20kms for the day.

I really can´t wait to post the pics, especially from my bed looking straight up!  So....love to everyone...and on to Puenta la Riena.  Of course that means thru Alto de Perdon!  Heaven help me!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry about Paderborn! They DID take reservations when I was there. Perhaps it depends on the hospitalera. :(

    ReplyDelete