Friday, June 24, 2011

God is so good to us!

As much as I dreaded the reentry, it is going so much better so far than I'd ever expected.  Now this is coming from a woman who only laid her head on her own pillow about 8 hours ago! 

My last day in Santiago was a bit of a whirlwind that allowed me not to have too many meltdowns!  I meet and enjoyed my time with so many people that day, including Joachim and Hanna, who walked from Burgos or was it Pamplona, to celebrate their 40th wedding anniversary!  Awesome couple and so much fun to spend time with.  We decided to meet for a final dinner as I had the night train to catch.  This left me now with an afternoon to fill.  One last afternoon in my Emerald City, what to do?  I had to do some shopping but was just having the worst time buying "things".  I just couldn't.  Yet, I wanted some small thing to share with my loved ones at home.  So, putting all things in the hands of someone larger I went off, knowing I had to meet dear people in front of the Cathedral at 6pm

Wandering the streets I saw some lovely things, and yet none of them spoke to me.  At all.  Well, one pair of earrings did, that were very very modern and looked like cherries in a silvery/pewter/gold fabrication.  But that would have been for me, a memory of cherries shared along the road, wild and those given to me by a local couple harvesting from their own front yard tree.  No earrings.  I wanted to check out the Convento and the church attached, but siesta intervened.  Hmmmm...continue wandering the streets, starting to feeling the slightest anxiety that I wouldn't have any "thing" to share.  When what to my wondering eyes should appear...one of my all time favorite things...a museum. 

Now my poor family knows, if there is one thing I am liable to dive into anywhere anytime, it is a museum.  Once again, the Camino provided.  It was the Museum of Pilgrimage.  It was free.  It was terrific.  It also allowed me to get something of remembrance without feeling overwhelmed by the commercial.  I was still in a small way supporting both the museum and the local economy.  So a few small items, some music and I was free to finish and meet my friends.

Our final dinner was in a small restaurant, frequented by locals only as it turned out.  And the food was excellent.  I simply indulged in my last Ensalada Mixta and last Tortilla Espana.  Followed of course by Tarte de Santiago.  We wandered around a bit after eating and found ourselves once again standing before the Cathedral in the Praza de Obradorio.  All was well till I realized this was truly my last goodbye in this wonderful journey and with a quick hug to all, I fled.  Grabbed my bag, had the concierge at the Seminario call a taxi, and headed for the train station.

I was, I believe the first pilg to show for the train.  Got my ticket, on the cheap, a seat not a berth which would have been more than double, at 120 euros.  So for 50 I had a comfy seat.  Or so I thought.

Getting into my seat 2A on Coach 6, I discover myself sitting across from a man about 6' 5"!  At first he didn't say a word as we four tried to settle ourselves.  After a few moments, he realized I spoke English and lit up.  Apparently hadn't heard a word for two days! Turns out to be ex British military, heading down to visit a sister in the south of Spain.  His dad was also there and at 97, not doing well, so he was doing whatever and where ever to get there ASAP.  And of course as cheap as possible.  The flight, last minute would have been 600E ! So anyhow, we chat abit and decide to head for a coffee, which actually turned out to be a beer (smarter option if you wanna try and sleep upright I think). 

Back in our spot on the train we struggle to get comfortable as possible, and Matt and the other pilg next to him said I should put my feet up on the seat between them.  I looked at them in complete horror, as they were bare feet, Camino feet with healed blisters that are starting to peel and really look, well, disgusting!  They insisted it was ok, so, lets not be stupid, I did!  We all nod off as well as we can, with Matt doing like my friend Joe here, instant coma!  Somewhere during the night I feel something on my legs.  Ummm. Ok.  Turns out Matt noticed my capris, and my cold legs, and was tucking me in with a shirt from his pack.  Now tell me the Camino doesn't provide the most amazing angels along the way.  Nasty slightly dirty camino feet and he tucks me in so gently I almost didn't notice.  We parted with a hug and a kiss on the cheek in Madrid.  I know I will never see him again, but neither will I ever forget him and his kindness.  Matt, I hope it goes well with your Dad.

Back home after a long set of flights with all kinds of delays and near misses, I realize I have to call home.  I am too late for any trains.  So much for wanting to walk the last 2k to the house under my own steam.  My phone had gone dead, and yet one last time, Camino Angels appear.  The girl at the counter for the limos, hands me her phone (unasked for) and says to call my husband.  Another girl waiting for her pick up hands me a phone to double check that he is heading to the right stop at Newark Airport.  This is Jersey folks.  This is highly populated, urban, busy, hectic and yet, people are good.   

So now here I sit, having made my own caffe con leche and eaten a bit trying to think of what to do.  I do know I need to go outside.  I haven't been in a building this long in nearly six weeks.  I need to walk.  I need to go see my granddaughter.  Oh GOD, that means I need to drive. Oh this should be interesting!

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back, Karin! You need to see US!
    Love, Vivian and Rich

    ReplyDelete
  2. People ARE good, aren't they!?
    Welcome Home!

    ReplyDelete