Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Here´s to small quiet voices

This morning, the dawn of midsummer, I woke up thinking I´d take the bus to Finisterre.  My tummy felt a tiny bit wobbly, so I figured breakfast was in order.  I wandered down to the dining hall, where the Seminario has a fantastic breakfast buffet.  I ate.  I drank coffee con leche.  I sipped juice.  I still felt just the tiniest bit off.  So I wandered off to the cathedral.

The cathedral at roughly a few minutes after 8am is delightful. Quiet.  Truly peaceful.  I could really enjoy the silence, the polychrome pillars, the infinite variety of the chapels, the old and the new all  living side by side.  I watched quietly from a pew as some priests did their divine office, and then mass.  I knew I wasn´t going to make Finisterre today and that was fine.  I walked around the Portico del Gloria, admiring the work and looking a the restoration in progress over the next few years. 

Needing more fresh air I went out the main steps and stood looking out over the Praza.  A pilgrim sitting with his bag at the bottom smiled back as I mouthed "Hola".  Then I saw why I´d had a wobbly stomach.  Renate!  Renate Gunther!  I think the world of this young woman, and haven´t seen her since Leon.  We spent the morning catching eachother up on all the happenings, and various folk from our Camino Families.  I´d forgotten that she and Hunter were also good friends.

So I´ve been given once again the gift of friendship and time with good people.  Tonight Hunter and I have reservations to look at the roof of the Cathedral.  Not a bad spot to toast midsummer !  Wonder who else I might run into in the process!  So here´s to those small quiet voices gently pulling you back from a plan that looked so promising at first light.

No comments:

Post a Comment