Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Rocking time in Leon!

Funny someone just turned up the radio here in Acebo, as I started typing this...and it´s swing music...Rockin again!

So back at Leon, in the lovely ethereal Cathedral, walking quietly thru the church I was having a lovely time.  Quietly.  Taking respectful photos.  Whispering to my friend Christina from Toulouse (sic).  And then.  She spots a man in a tux.  Her curiosity piqued, she went over to inquire.  Apparently he was with a choir from Madrid.  They were in town for a wedding.  That night at six.  So...not being shy, she asked if it was possible to stay. It was totally allowed.

So, two totally inappropriately dressed Perigrinas (beggers at the feast) sat tucked in a corner right next to the  choir area.  The practice began and the rest of the stunningly dressed choir arrived.  Lovely songs.  Lovely gospel songs.  Lovely rockin gospel songs!  The did "Swing Low Sweet Chariot", a totally hip arrangement of "Ave Maria".  They then went into "O Happy Day".  I felt my head turning almost on it´s own, rather like something from Exorcist.  Ratcheting it´s way around.  I locked eyes with one of the men in the choir, who looked rather puzzled.  When practice was over, grinning like a fool, I pointed to my self and said in my best Espanol, Los Estados Unidos, and gave him two thumbs up.  He started to laugh too!

For all the formality and for all that we were in a cathedral where most of the others were wearing evening clothes, this was the most rocking wedding I have ever ever ever been to!  The recessional was "O Happy Day"!  After the bride and groom exited stage left, the choir continued singing, with the pilgrims who´d hung in snapping fingers, clapping hands and singing along.  The choir totally loved the feed back too! 

Over a dinner of paella, the two of us simply could´t stop grinning and pinching ourselves.  Christina is now walking her way to Oviedo as some of the crowding is too much for her.  She´ll then make her way to Santiago from there.  I will miss her company.  But I will never forget our Saturday night in Leon.

3 comments:

  1. I love hearing of the wonderful surprises that await you on your journey! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you complain about me wanting to be a wedding/party crasher !!! You literally are now.

    Ramon

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful memory you will always have of having experienced such music! I heard a superb concert in Navarrette, so that place will always hold a special place in my heart too!

    ReplyDelete