Thursday, June 16, 2011

** Samos to Ferreiros **

Such mixed feelings...leaving behind some of the most memorable walking days and walking companions.  And yet... so much still ahead...such goodness, so many angels!

I immediately thought of Munsch's painting, "The Scream" when I saw this piece.  It completely matched my mood at the moment, and actually made me laugh!  And cry.
Trying to stay focused, on what was new in my day, what was being given to me...although these blooms seemed so paltry compared to so many seen on previous days!
Had to laugh at this one, which resulted in singing that wonderful Dead song, Touch of Grey....which after this many weeks on Camino...certainly applied to me!!  Thank you Jerry Garcia or is that Gracias Garcia!




Of course Spain continued to be beautiful, even if I wasn't really in the mood to see it.
A road side shrine.
Housing the first of many angels I'd meet along the way this particular day.
First encounter!  I'd heard about yet another school group, this one from St. Xavier's in Louisville, Kentucky.  Wasn't sure what they'd be like, so I hurried on to get ahead.  They turned out to be amazing, wonderful, fun and some of the best young ambassadors I met the entire time.  My hat is off to them and their chaperones.
Church in Sarria.  Loved the use of natural stones...hated the way the new portico cuts into the arch over the door!  What were they thinking??
Looking into the cloister.  There is a school here, and you could hear childrens voices ...very lovely!
My Waterloo!  I was so hot, tired and cranky, I forgot there were finally some others within earshot...and muttered about this stretch being really sucky...at which point... they surrounded me...and walked with me!  They were so encouraging and helpful, needless to say... I cried!! Duh!   I didn't realize I was sick until then either.  Gunther turned, looked at me and said if I wasn't at the Alburge, which was 1.5 Km, in a half an hour he was coming back to get me.  Apparently my anemia, was literally showing.  They all told me later I was almost white. 
So here, from Santiago is my hero, Gunther!  This was again, one of those moments, your with people, talking about someone you met and saying you wished you could see them again to say thank you....and they walk around the corner of the Cathedral!


Back in Ferreiros he also wound up spending the night sleeping out on the porch of alburgue in protest when the hospitelera wouldn't allow one more pilgrim, Helena, to stay when she was really in a bad way.  His repayment...he got to watch the lunar eclipse in his toasty sleeping bag!  Gunther...I will always have a very special place in my heart for you!  Vielen Dank!

1 comment:

  1. Karin - such atmospheric photos and spiritual/physical/realisic insights ... Your blog has probably told the heart's truth about the Camino more than any others I've read. And that's the truth!

    ReplyDelete